By: Chef Caxton Gomes, Cayman Aggressor IV
Served with black bean and sweet & hot pepper ragout
1 ½ lb Fresh Red snapper
4 Each. Plantain banana
2 each Sweet yam potato
3 sprigs of thyme
1 stick of butter
8oz dried black beans (washed)
1 cup chopped mixed bell peppers
1 Scotch bonnet pepper
2 pods crushed garlic
1 large diced red onion
4 tsp olive oil
Splash of lime juice.
2 bunches of fresh asparagus
julienn red pepper for garnish.
Black Bean & Pepper Ragout
1.Boil black beans, bell peppers, scotch bonnet, onion, garlic, lime juice, butter, together, simmer until the beans are cooked.
2. Gently blend with a hand blender so that the ragout has a little coarse texture.
3. check for seasoning and set aside.( has to be a little spicy/hot).
Caramelized Yams & Plantains
1. cut the plantains and sweet potato in dices and deep fry in a hot oil till Golden brown, make sure not to overcook them.
2. caramelize butter, sugar, salt and pepper in separate pan, mix in the fried plantains and sweet potato toss gently.
1. Cut the red snapper into 6oz portion, marinate with salt, pepper, thyme and lime juice.
2. Quickly sauté snapper in a fry pan with the olive oil, 3 min each side.
Putting It All Together
Toss the asparagus in melted butter, season to taste.
On a serving plate make a bed of sweet potato and plantains, lay the snapper and asparagus on top and the black bean ragout to the side of the plate.
Finish with finely julienned red bell pepper and wedge of lemon.